Introduction to Woozles
A woozle is a phenomenon caused by obsessively following one's own footsteps while thinking you are covering new ground. The presence of a woozle generally can be taken as an indication that you have become too focused on your immediate task and need to take a look at the larger picture in order to see where you have gone wrong.
Introduction to This Woozle
This particular woozle, officially known as Nick Staddon, can be contacted via various methods listed here, and is commonly found in Durham, NC (where it lives with its hypertwin, Harena) and various places on the internet.
(Woozle's internal/notes page is here, but most of it probably won't mean anything to anyone else.)
Woozle is now switching to first person for the rest of this page. Do not adjust your sets.
The Important Stuff
- Issuepedia, a wiki-based site for discussing and documenting public issues (including local ones) and personal opinions
- HTYP, a wiki-based online "directory of everything" and "technical manual for the universe"; trying to turn it into a real-world resource database
- I write and record music. I've also been in a couple of bands which didn't go anywhere but recorded some stuff maybe worth listening to.
- comics I drew a long, long time ago before there were webcomics:
The Side Burner
- vbz.net, an online store which is operating but under reconstruction.
- Various computer services
- On-site computer service (including Windows and Linux)
- Web site programming (MediaWiki, MySQL, and PHP a specialty)
I'm kind of just starting to recover from being essentially buried by co-responsibility for my hypertwin Harena's autistic son, whom we finally placed in a good long-term home in February 2011. I keep going back and forth between trying to earn a living and trying to do something useful. Funny how those two are incompatible.
The Back Burner
There are a number of things I'd like to be doing but lack one or more critical elements.
- Recording studio: I have enough equipment to set up a small but income-generating recording studio; I lack the space, and I also wouldn't have the time to run it on a daily basis (at least until the Josh situation improves). I could, however, help get it set up and put some time into technical maintenance.
- VBZ expansion: I ultimately want to make vbz.net easier to run and hand over its daily operation to someone else; eventually I'd like to see it move into a physical storefront, and expand from there. I would also like to offer more work by local artists and musicians, as this is why I got into online retail in the first place.
The Obscure Stuff
You can also find me at:
- LessWrong (wiki): discussion about rationality
- Triangle Hackerspace (joined 2010-08-06)
- Wikipedia et al.
- BJaoDN (mainly for the purpose of communicating about wiki vandalism)
- probably other places I can't think of at the moment
- My comments on IntenseDebate, the forum service used by Change.gov – i.e. you can see all the comments I made at Change.gov by going to that link.
- I also installed IntenseDebate on Issuepedia as an experiment, but it didn't turn out to be useful
- Google+, until I am suspended
Too Much Information
- /drafts: a place to keep drafts so I can show them to people
- Mine offspring (pictures and such) lives in Athens with her mom.
- I'm not related, as far as I know, to these folks (2009-11-13 news item) or to Stanley Staddon of Zimbabwe
- I have gender dysphoria. I currently have no strong pronoun preference.
- My work with Frank Borchardt at Duke University is mentioned briefly here.