Cassette - Triad MG-X 90
- Side A "layering/transfer #1 1988-03-28"
- brief piano & synth thing (one in each channel)
- Blue Fields of String (guitar sounds out of sync; need to do digital remix... also, I don't hear the synth)
- Middle of Perpetual Motion
- other stuff, including components of Trilogy
- Side B "~4 min. left"
- Monorail to Nowhere - bounce mix (xylophone + digital piano; voices, starting faint - maybe there was another layer on top in final mix?)
- guitar arpeggio thing - later became Sweet Dreams, Good Night
- Ensoniq piano thing (several false starts)
- Ensoniq piano thing again, without reverse reverb
- Attempt to redo Primordial with Ensoniq piano... OSLT... and multiple attempts to go somewhere with it...
- Backwards intro to Blue Fields of Green ... Blue Fields of Green with vocals turned way down, no solos except guitar; echo fades into --
- Antarctica; echo fades into --
- Psychiatric Interlude; fades into --
- Daydream of the Psychoanalyst
- tuning orchestra as whales
- R2 - B2
- BFoG: backing vocals and synth
- Side A: layering/transfer #2 1989-08-03
- The Tape Ran Out
- something piano backwards; short
- Monorail to Nowhere (with piano intro; not the best mix, and not complete)
- overdub tracks for BFoG (vocals, echo-keybd, whistle...)
- overdub tracks for BFoG (vocals, whistle, lead vocals, echo kbd... stops abruptly)
- overdub tracks for BFoG (backwards intro, chorus-y lead vocals, piano, strings, organ, electric guitar solo) -- is this a mixdown?
- another BFoG submix; no high/echoey lead vox, no synth solo; has organ and elec guitar solo
- rewinding sound (brief)
- overdub tracks for BFoG (high/echoey bg/fg vox, keyboard solo...)
- overdub tracks for BFoG (high/echoey bg/fg vox... truncated near end.)
- Side B: no label
- BFoG mix: no high/echoey lead vox, no synth solo
- overdub tracks for BFoG (high/echoey bg/fg vox, synth solo; no elec. guitar)
- Facsimile mix: only one lead vocal, no real drums, no solos
- Facsimile mix: prelude, two vocals, real drums...
- Facsimile mix: prelude moved closer; two vocals, real drums, no solos; drums drop out properly
- Facsimile mix: additional prelude; guitar solo; no vocal solos
- Facsimile mix: adds vocal solos
- Post-Atomic Wasteland: no lead vocals
- Facsimile mix: slightly better mix? (This sounds like the final one I used...)
- Monorail to Nowhere (with piano intro; missing some elements, including the end part; a bit fuzzy...)
- Monorail to Nowhere (with piano intro; much as above, though this sounds like a submix that got used)
- Monorail to Nowhere: cuts in near the end (the part missing from the above mixes); echoey ending
- Side A: "The Cheap Imitation - demo 1988dec21"
- Side B: "The Cheap Imitation - layering/xfer 2A" (?)
- Facsimile - sounds like final mix
- Monorail: source mix with piano intro and cut-off with echo
- Monorail: source mix, no intro - xylophone, digital piano, a few other oddments
- Monorail: mix with piano intro, no backwards arpeggio guitar but some backwards guitar chords; no piano-pedal-thunk
- Monorail: piano intro, kind of fuzzy mix (Dolby C?), ends with pedal thunk
- Monorail: piano intro, kind of fuzzy mix (Dolby C?)...
Abbey Normal rehearsal, recorded on oddball clock-alarm-cassette recorder. Is this a copy of the "rehearsal #3" tape? Or is this the original, and that's the copy? My solo in "Shoobee Doobee" is kind of unmistakable, so it has to be the same session. Cleaned & demagnetized heads right before starting transcription. Recorded at 2872 Danielsville Road.
- Side A:
- fragment of "Somehow I Don't Think So"; ends in feedback when Brad starts singing
- hoppy rhythm piece (Tim's?), mostly sloppy with some good bits
- "Somehow I Don't Think So"
- "Shoobee Doobee"
- "Think About It"
- re-take of ending
- solo drumming which might be usable as loop
- lots of talking about the ending
- re-take of playout/ending - drummer stumbles
- "Just One Look" - attempt at beginning
- "Just One Look"
- "Guitar Lonely" - false start
- "Guitar Lonely" (music, vocals: Tim Kunkle; lyrics: Brian Crum)
- remains of older recording
- ending of some song of Tim's
- talking and noodling around
- Interplanetary Love Affair - gets lost in the middle
- Interplanetary Love Affair - tape ends after first verse
- Side B: sounds like another rehearsal with Abbey Normal
- cuts in to "Two Ways",
- played a bit fast (maybe this is how Tim likes it?)
- keyboard solo is kind of interesting, briefly...
- Tim explains how it works musically
- "Interplanetary Love Affair" - passable? (Brad seems to know all the riffs this time)
- Tim's vocals at the end kind of... gaah.
- End kind of stumbles
- "Them"/"Same Spot Twice"
- lots of talking
- [cut to older recording - probably earlier rehearsal at 2872]
- cuts into "Somehow I Don't Think So" (keyboard on plinky organ patch; somewhat slower pace; sloppy)
- talking... Livia arrives...
- cuts off
- cuts in to "Two Ways",
7" Radio Shack reel tape - working tape 1989-
- Part 1
- Facsimile 1.2 - drums, vocals
- Facsimile 1.3 - 1991 master version
- Facsimile 1.4 - above + bass, lead guitar
- Part 2
- Post-Atomic 1.1
- Post-Atomic 1.2
- Part 3
- Chameleon 1.1 (phone interrupts)
- Chameleon 2.1
- Part 4
- guitar sequence (featuring Weird Arnette Ave. Noise)
- guitar song w/whistling
- Part 5
- YBC 1.1 1992-06 -- just piano, nothing else
- YBC 1.2 1992-06-16 *this version*
The Mini-Session Failure Tape Track 1 is probably messed up because of bad contact on player deck, but track 2 may be identical (mono recorder). Not sure tho.
- Mr. Rogers vs. Grease
- The Spy Who Didn't Like Me a Whole Lot
- lots of experimental noises and such, including
- - Jessica's Eliza imitation (used in Daydream o' the Psychoanalyst)
- - 28:-- shortwave jamming, several minutes
- - some Dave Smith Jazz Class -- not sure if this is source or a copy
- - 43:00 Matt Henry stuff begins
- - 46:00 slug #15...
- - 48:-- or so: Camp No Hope
- - 50:-- an expert on Time
Cassette - 1988-01-28
- Side A: Durham / Greensboro
- Primordial (full early version)
- middle of Brave New World (no synths; voice-sample-splice thingy at end)
- primordial guitar/harmonica thing
- strange click-echo thing (very brief)
- water-guitar thingy, with piano (mixed down, fortunately)
- jam with people at Milner Hall
- "Birds" :-P
- Those Satchnarp Blues
- Anticipatory Piano Thing
- Dana Auditorium 3AM
- brief harpsichord thing
- Through Space & Time (by Chris Kimmel)
- variations in D major thing
- Shannon & Fran flute/synth jam
- guitar chord thing
- rhodes & strings
- rhodes & horns
- Side B: Ann Arbor / Providence
- middle of Perpetual Motion
- Antarctica, abrupt ending (poor tape quality)
- BFoG instrumental tracks (probably 4-trk cassette mix)
- Daydream of the Psychoanalyst (poor tape quality)
- Stringy Fields of Green (short version; poor tape quality)
- Let's Annoy Caroline
- Dangerous Interlude (without reverb)
- harpsichord bass thing
- spliced voice thing for Brave New World
- Slow Stringy Thing
- Thing That Needs Words
has been partly digitized
- Monorail to Nowhere - source for mix with Rhodes intro
Not formally listed, but here's what I heard listening to it just now (towards the end):
- sort of dreamy guitar thing
- The Penguin Song (original tracks?)
- "Perpetual Motion" on stereo piano (fading poorly into "middle of" mix, which is cut off by the tape ending)
7" Radio Shack reel tape
- You Never Give Me Your Munchies 1.1 1992-03-18 20:00
- You Never Give Me Your Munchies 1.2 1992-03-18 20:30
This had apparently been digitized, but I don't know where the files are.